This has nothing to do with Thickets, nor willow, nor CHEERIUP, but since it’s about my family I want to share it. It’s a timely and b-i-g idea project called Schoolhaus: Schoolhaus is a new interdisciplinary experiment in art education, co-directed by Zak Sally of La Mano and Dan Ibarra of Aesthetic Apparatus. While it’s beta version ran successfully last year for two semesters, the concept has been overhauled to it’s current pitch as a kickstarter campaign. And it ends today.
Full disclosure...Dan is my husband. Not only is he a dreamy partner, father, and overall human being, but he’s one of my creative heroes. He's also an insanely talented and influential Graphic Designer. And as any of his former students would attest, he’s a dynamic, generous, and gifted educator. (It’s in his blood, both Mom and Pop are teachers)
Some background...The US is in a crisis state with the current high costs of higher education. College is only getting harder to afford, even as it becomes more necessary. I won’t go into this further since there’s already so much press about this, but here’s a great simple graphic explanation. Schoolhaus is a timely response to reforming this, with a specific focus on Art and Design education.
Why you should help fund this project:
1) Are you currently a professional, earning a decent wage, but still feeling the pain and burden of your incurred 30k plus in student loan debt?
2) Do you know anyone who has incurred 30k plus in student loan debt?
3) Are you a parent? Given the details of the current college tuition explosion, how will you be able to help your children pay for college?
4) Maybe you don’t care about Art/Design specific higher education? The big picture here is that Schoolhaus is potentially a new business model towards reforming the cost structure of higher education. Here's your chance to make a push for change.
4) Even Kickstarter gives it a thumbs-up! It’s highlighted today as their “Project of The Day” in the Art category.
This is the last day to support this project. Currently, Schoolhaus is only 40%. If each of you pledges at least $25, you will not only get a beautiful Aesthetic Apparatus screen printed poster, but I bet the project would be funded and Schoolhaus will get the momentum it needs to fly into the future.
THANK YOU! Now, back to weaving!